Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Swinging Above the Streets

     Practice homework for Dr. Mackie's Poetry Writing class at Rogers State University, fall 2015 semester. I left the line-markers in here to show how a sestina is structured. Peter Parker's life seemed like it fit this format well, and poetry's about the only angle I haven't written about Spider-Man yet. "Goblin" as an end-word was a bit difficult to work with.

1 “With great power comes great responsibility.”
2 They call me Spider-Man, say I’m amazing.
3 But really, I’m just Peter Parker;
4 Sometimes-photographer for the Daily Bugle.
5 Will I ever be able to get the girl?
6 That’s just one of my life’s many goblins.

6 Keeping those I care for safe from the Green Goblin
1 And stopping crime in general is my responsibility.
5 I got problems, too; doubt I’ll ever get the girl…
2 They call me Spider-Man, some say I’m amazing.
4 Others….not so much. Like Jameson at the Daily Bugle.
3 …But selling papers is his job. High school was Peter Parker’s.

3 Since that night at the library where Uncle Ben parked,
6 And everything… I swear, have you ever seen a goblin?
4 My uncle’s words have been echoing like a bugle:
1 “With great power comes great responsibility.”
2 My gift is my curse. And the irony is amazing.
5 Heroes just don’t kill the girl…

5 Gwen…she was perfect. We were a team. She’s the girl
3 Who eagerly leapt at adventure… And now she’s parked
2 Under a cemetery headstone? The ache is amazing…
6 And then to find that Harry’s dad is the Goblin…
1 It’s my responsibility to keep them safe, I know. But responsibility
4 Isn’t much fun sometimes. (E.g., slander in the Bugle.)

4 Occasionally JJJ coughs up a hairball and the Bugle
5 Says something complimentary.
1 Aunt May worries; makes sense, me being her responsibility.
3 After my parents died in the car crash, they were the closest Parkers.
6 I’m sure they thought my actions caused by Puck or some other goblin,
2 But when I ask, she says, “You’re my nephew, Peter. And I love you. You’re amazing.”

2 So through the City’s streets I go a-maze-ing
4 Timing shutterspeeds to get Spidey pics into the Bugle
6 Snarkily halting crooks and foiling Doc Ock and the Green Goblin
5 MJ Watson…we grew up together, if there were a girl
3 That I could…maybe… I’m not good enough. I’m just Peter Parker.
1 And I know that with great power comes great responsibility.”

The Avengers have an amazing responsibility;
I’m more local, dealing with the goblins at the Bugle,
Upholding the Parkers’ legacy while chasing after the girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment