Tuesday, September 1, 2015

High School Sweethearts

    This was for Dr. Mackie's Poetry Writing class at Rogers State University during the fall 2015 semester. The format is a rondeau, which is basically a serious limerick. This old man's response got stuck in my head, and I wanted to spend some more time with him. Similarities to Brad Paisley's "Waitin' On a Woman" wasn't intentional.

“Well, I married her, didn’t I?” – said with an old-man grin
As we sat there killing time, waiting on our women,
Prepping to have our wallets drowned.
He was reminiscin’ ‘bout places long closed down,
Distant chords of Journey, “Don’t Stop Believin’.”

Floyd said, “I was eleven, she was ten,
“when she moved; years ‘fore we met again,
“it was basic trainin’, Thanksgiving weekend hoedown…
“Well. I married her, didn’t I?”

“…ya learn to forgive and make amends…”
Quoting Shakespeare and football, we tried not to think about what we’d spend.
When they stepped out, time stopped, couldn’t hear a sound
With her grandma’s help, she chose and showcased that Homecoming gown…
I said we’d stick it out ‘til the end. Faith and me, we’re still friends –

Well. I married her, didn’t I?

No comments:

Post a Comment