Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Sonnet on Doing Laundry

     Hey, if Edgar Guest can write about suppertime("The Perfect Dinner Table") and reading bedtime stories, and Brad Paisley can write about being bored stiff in church("Long Sermon") and crushing beer cans("Crushin' It"), then anything is fair game when it comes to writing. (They both have also written about much bigger topics, too.)
     So when Dr. Mackie assigned a sonnet as homework for Poetry Writing, I thought a while late the other night and remembered that I need to do laundry when I visit home this weekend. So I wrote about doing laundry.

Time to wash the laundry,
Everything needs to be cleaned;
Hoodies, T-shirts, socks and sundry
Travel into the circular machine.
In a way I suppose it’s urgent -
That semi-dressy shirt for Tuesday has a stain.
How much do I use of the detergent?
Thought I just did this…now here I am again…
…Huh, look, here’s a quarter! And a guitar pick!
They don’t really have to be color-sorted, do they?
By tossing it all together, it’s an efficiency trick,
That hoodie sleeve is starting to fray…
With expeditions frequent in lost-sock retrieval,
Let’s face it: Laundry is a necessary evil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment