Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sestina Homework

     This was for Poetry Writing during the fall 2015 semester at Rogers State University. One of our homework assignments this week was to practice a sestina, which has six stanzas of six lines each, plus a three-line epilogue, and the end-words all have to be same, just mixed up in a prescribed manner. The six end-words Dr. Mackie gave us were "blue", "forest", "understanding", "misanthropic", "calm" and "sunshine". The tone of this poem probably came from hearing from a guy I know that his wife just died suddenly a few days before. Guess I was somehow putting myself in his shoes while writing this.

 People say to me, “Forrest,
You’ve been feeling blue
Because you ain’t got no understanding
For folk’s feelings. In fact, you’re misanthropic!”
Is it my fault that my mind is somewhat calm
Only on days when it’s without sunshine?

Radio’s playing Johnny Cash’s “You Are My Sunshine”,
I can’t even – white-girl talk – so I bolt, hearing that “Run, Forrest…
You better run!” The weather’s too calm;
Sky going to the dark side, navy blue.
These thunderstorms, I swear, are misanthropic.
What a word, eh? Passes most all understanding.

Like baseball, for instance. Always had trouble understanding
How folks can spend all day in the hot sunshine
Watching players stand still for three hours. I’d say the misanthropic
One was Abner Doubleday. I’d rather be in the forest
With no traces of Dodger or Mariner blue
Caps; the wild things nap, their routines calm.

Lisa was always so calm.
And popular, and kind, and understanding;
That’s what people said. She fixed up our place all in baby blue…
On our way back from a Sunday sunshined
Baseball game we wrecked outside the forest…
I’m an introvert and grieving, not misanthropic.

How do you even spell “misanthropic”?
It’s a Jeopardy word; they always seem so calm
Questioning answers like “What is the Amazon rainforest?”
To “Alex the parrot hails from here; he could help ours with understanding
The difficult tongue-twisters.” $800, question: “What is sunshine?”
I wouldn’t be bad at this game, final-round scrawling on the screen of blue

My answer-question, for why I seem blue.
I wagered $11,200 on “What is misanthropic?”
And then the alarm goes off and there’s the sunshine
Bright through the window. Time for work. I leave, calm
As I can fake, to help patients today by appearing understanding
And coming home to the empty crib that should’ve been Forrest’s.

I’ll retreat into the calm forest
Where whatever my misanthropic understanding
Of human blues will be eased by the warm sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment