Tuesday, October 6, 2015

To Beatrice

     In Act V, Scene II of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, Benedick complains that he can't write poetry, after writing some terrible verses to Beatrice before their wedding(Margaret the maid likes them, though). I needed something to use as a sonnet for workshopping for Poetry Writing, and besides, I couldn't figure out the iambic pentameter rhythm required for sonnets. Also, I've always wanted to read Benedick's poem. And writing it myself would allow me to finally read it, have something for classmates to critique, and get the concept of the meter explained in depth. Critiques thought it was wildly ambitious to write in Elizabethan English and still make sense; their reactions were generally stunned anyone would attempt that. Several people commented that they have "no idea what to expect" when it comes to my poetry, but that "it's always so heartfelt" they don't mind being kept off balance that way. That was cool. Even better was when a middle-aged lady said that it seemed like something her dad would enjoy. (She meant that as a compliment, which is how I took it.)

Dear one, Beatrice, of my heart’s desire
though I said ere I would be married never,
mayhap be in heaven an angel choir
bade me fall for yonder tongue so clever;
with a clamor my wits encount’red scorn,
of running amiss of such a rank’d lady;
plus fear for wearing the cuckold’s horn,
halted me – but Love arrayed as a baby
gather’d myself to gentle warfare’s school;
wherein I learn’d all which becomes her knight.
My jeers at others I now repent; mere fool
am I for jesting at such a noble plight!
Born not I beneath a rhyming star!

In but others’ words thy praise goes afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment