Sunday, November 15, 2015

Advice From Sparky

     This Poetry Writing homework was written on the close of an awful day, and I was missing my dog Sunny. So I read Wilson Rawls' Where the Red Fern Grows, and that helped. This poem was written to a master from his loyal now-dead scruffy beagle Sparky. The name came from recently reading a biography of Charles Schulz, and the brightish tone in the last stanza was probably influenced by studying a lot of Edgar Guest.

Yeah, I’m not here any longer,
but you just found this letter
and I never chewed up much
poetry as a pup, so I reckon
I can try it now.

If I did my job right, you’re stronger
now than you were then, better
able to handle stress and such.
Sure, you still freak out for a second
when things leave you going “…Wow,”

but doesn’t everyone? Don’t squander
these moments you live, be a go-getter
and make sure to give a “Hang in there” touch
to those pals in need. A new chapter of life beckons.
Chase it, like I do my tail. I am a dog, anyhow.


No comments:

Post a Comment