Thursday, April 14, 2016

We Need to Get Home

     I didn't quite take this assignment to parody a well-known poem quite far enough. But I think I get the concept, at least.  The poem this is based on is Robert Frost's "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening." For Studies in Poetry.

We are standing here in snow.
I don’t much like this – no, no, no.
Too cold and dreary are these woods
to pass such silent interludes.
Nay, I much prefer stable
living, consuming warm oats at my table.
So, let us be off, master;
frostbite is merely one of the dangers we might face tonight.

He has now realized that I do not share
in his pleasure, nor recognize the beauty of the snowflake so austere.
I must remain practical as a plow-horse,
(for that is what I am, of course)
and there are miles to go before we sleep.
Yes, miles to go before we sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment